My name is Cara.
I’m 27 years old and I’m a small town girl with a passion for food, family, and sustainability.
I also have a tendency towards starting projects and abandoning them halfway through, so this blog is attempt number 4,344,677 at me getting my thoughts/ideas/recipes onto something I can share.
It’s a terrible habit of mine, my worst to date and as a reformed party-girl, that’s saying something!
I love exploring new places and trying new things, particularly local to my native Rhode Island and New England. My goal is to share my thoughts and experiences with you, so that way when I’m old and decrepit I can prove to my grandkids that I wasn’t as dull as they’ll probably think I am 😛
(…just kidding. Who knows what kind of technology will exist when I have grandkids? They’ll probably look at sites like WordPress and Facebook the way we do cave paintings and stone carvings…)
I live locally with my boyfriend Glen and work for a wonderful catering company in Southern RI.
I just finished my culinary Associate’s Degree at Johnson & Wales.
My dream job is to work with kids and teach them about where food comes from, how it’s prepared and how to cook for themselves. I believe firmly in food as medicine and meals as the way back to wellness. I think that good nutrition decisions should be fostered from the beginning, but that it’s completely possible to change perspectives with education. Kids are our future, what better place to start?
Here are just a few more random facts about me:
- My favorite colors are green, purple, and blue. In most shades.
- My dad’s childhood nickname for me was Captain Planet as I was convinced I could save the Earth one day. It’s still a dream of mine.
- As such, I’m an avid recycler and re-user. I am a big proponent of reusable bags, bringing meals to work, and repurposing when possible.
- I’m a shameless over-user of emojis 🙂 😉 😛 they’re just so darn cute!
- Up until recently, my best friend was my cat Marley. Sadly, she passed away this August. I had her from the time I was 18 until now. I miss her very much and am still not ready to get another cat. >^^<
- My hero is my late Gram, Hazel Buzzi. She was my other best friend. She was an artist, an art teacher, a girl scout leader, a mother to nine and a grandmother to 18. She is the reason I went back to school to get my culinary degree. I have a tattoo in her honor on my right arm.
- In my downtime I love to read. One of my favorite things to do on a day off is to peruse the local library and check out books that catch my eye. If it’s a good book I can sometimes finish it in a matter of days.
- I also love farmer’s markets and trying out new restaurants. I love talking about, shopping for, preparing, cooking, sharing, and eating food. It’s one of the greatest pleasures in my life.
That’s all for now, if you have any questions or would like to get to know me better, feel free to get in touch!